Lahore: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Secretary General Dr. Arif Alvi has Complained against President Zardari to ECP Fakhruddin .In his letter to Chief Election Commissioner G. Ebrahim he wrote that President Zardari was using his office for political benefits.
Dr Alvi said that On Monday 13th November 2012 a half page advertisement was published on the back page of Daily Dawn released by the ‘Ministry of Capital Administration and Development’ which states the following:
1.‘A Warm Welcome to President Asif Ali Zardari on the auspicious occasion of Eid Milan at Malawal, District Mandi Bahauddin by Nadeem Fazal Chan(MNA & Chairman Public Accounts Committee) Major (R) Zulfiqar Ali Gondal (MPA), Waseem Afzal Gondal (MPA)’.
2.It further goes on to praise Mr Nazar Muhammad Gondal the Federal Minister forCapital Administration & Development.
3.This advertisement PID (1)2111/12 has been sponsored by the Ministry of Capital Administration & Development whose minister has been praised and whose constituency lies in the same area along with his brother Major ® Zulfiqar Gondal MPA and Waseem Afzal Godal MPA who have also been mentioned.
4.Similar advertisements have been published in other newspapers on the same date.
On behalf of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, I would like to draw your attention that:
1. This a purely political advertisement which has nothing to do with the Ministry of Capital Administration & Development which is the sponsor of the ad.
2. What does an Eid Milan in Mandi Bahauddin have to do with the said Ministry?
3. That this is a blatant misuse of government funds by a Minister who heads a ministry created in the wake of the 18th amendment and is ‘Mandated to carry out functions within the Islamabad Capital Territory…. of health education and social welfare.’
a. It has about 22000 employees out of which more than 20000 are in health and education and an Eid Milan in Mandi Bahauddin is not even remotely related to this Ministry.
b. It is shameful that these funds have been used to further a Minster’s constituency spread and that of his relatives.
4. This is pre-election rigging using public funds for the constituencies of the people involved.
1. The Chief Election Commissioner should issue specific orders that as this advertisement was of a purely political nature which had nothing to do with the Ministry, the cost along with a fine should be borne by the Minister and officials of the Ministry personally.
2. The said Minister and his accomplices must be debarred from contesting elections.
3. The CEC should recommend action against the civil servants involved.
4. The office of the Chief Election Commissioner should read the newspapers thoroughly and point out such blatant misuse of funds for furthering the political cause of prospective candidates.
5. The CEC should issue a general order to the Federal and Provincial Ministries and publicise the same in light of this incident: “That government funds should not be used for political purposes in this manner and if this happens the person may be debarred from contesting elections.”
6. The President must also be stopped from visiting such election influencing functions as he represents the Federation and his non-interference in political activities is essential for free and fair elections. This is also in pursuance of the Supreme Court observations as well as the order of the Chief Election Commissioner when he stopped the Deputy Prime Minister from abusing his position in Narowal. A specific constraint order must be issued by the CEC.