Lahore: Atleast seven children were died and 17 burnt due to an unfortunate fire incident at Services hospital Lahore. The fire broke out due to short circuit in air-conditioner at 3.30 pm on Thursday in the nursery ward of newly born babies of Services Hospital engulfed the oxygen panels.
There was uproar everywhere in the hospital after the fire incident. People were crying and struggling to save the kids by help their selves but later rescue emergency service team reached at the spot and started rescue work.
There were 24 newly born babies in the nursery at that time. Doctors, nurses other staff of the wards of hospital and attendants of the patients tried to save the children jointly. Officials of Rescue-1122 also reached the spot who besides controlling the fire, also helped in bringing out the children.
According to the spokesman of the hospital, the children suffering from various complications at the time of birth are kept in incubators in Children Nursery Ward. The spokesman told that six children were died due to smoke and fire whereas seventeen children were taken out safely. He said that one baby was affected badly and his condition is serious. On receiving the information of fire in the hospital, Special Assistant to Chief Minister on Health, Khawaja Salman Rafique, Secretary Health Punjab Capt. (Retd) Arif Nadeem, Special Secretary Health Dawood Bareach, Principal Services Hospital Prof. Faisal Masood, MS Dr. Rehana Malik and other staff reached at the site and started looking after the children and supervising the rescue activities. Meanwhile, Paramedical Staff Action Committee, expressing its shock and grief over the incident of fire in Children Nursery Ward of Services Hospital, announced to postpone the strike going on for the last 29 days in Services Hospital for an indefinite period and class four paramedical staff has started taking part in the rescue activities with the administration.
After the incident of fire Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, visited nursery ward at Services Hospital and ordered to constitute an inquiry committee headed by Chairman Chief Minister’s Inspection Team for ascertaining the causes of fire and said that this committee will submit its report within 24 hours and responsibility will be fixed in the light of this report. He made it clear that strict action will be taken if anyone found guilty of negligence.
The Chief Minister expressing his sympathies with the parents of the children said that he equally shares their grief.